Price: €15.00Prior to the Shannon Navigation works in the early part of the 19th century, full navigation through Athlone was impossible. A hundred years prior to this a bypass canal was constructed on the west side of the town. All goods coming into Athlone by barge were brought ashore at St Peter's Port, very close to the rear entrance to Sean's Bar. It was here where tax or excise duty was paid, thus giving Excise Street its name. A deed of 1801 in the name of John Booth describes St Peter's port plot with the "ancient mansion house thereon, with out-houses, stables, gardens, water-courses nd fishings". On the eastern end of this site, John Booth erected a brewery (known as Booths brewery from 1801 - 1817. In business with his brother William, John Booth levied a charge of 2d on every boatload that was brought through the post, and for the vehemence with which he collected this tax from everyone he was nicknamed "Copper - Fisted Jack".