Sean’s Bar is officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the oldest extant public house in Ireland (Credit: Mike MacEacheran)
Sean's blog will keep you up to date with pub life at Ireland's oldest pub. As well as keeping you updated on the latest news from Sean's, we will also share old stories from Athlone and the Midland's.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsSean's Bar officially recognised as Ireland’s Oldest extant public houseRead More
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsJohn Booth - Brewer & Excise ManRead More
Described by Prof G.T Stokes as a " stiff old puritan of the Baptist persuasion from Kilbeggan or thereabouts, gifted with a good deal of that strong facility of hatred which puritans at times could display" John Booth was indeed a very interesting and prominent business man in Athlone.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsMark Begg - A Colourful Inn-Keeper at Sean's BarRead More
Sean's Bar was formally known as " The Three Blackamoor Heads" and undoubtedly the most famous proprietor of the pub was Mark Begg who held the Inn in 1736. Mr Begg inaugurated the first stage coach service from Athlone to Dublin.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsSean's Irish Whiskey awarded Origin Green CertificateRead More
Sean's Irish Whiskey Company is now a verified member of Origin Green Sustainability Programme having received its certificate from Bord Bia.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsSean's Irish Whiskey Features at Whiskey Live 2017Read More
Whiskey Live Dublin took place on Saturday 25th November at Dublin Castle on Dame Street where Sean's Irish Whiskey Co participated in its first whiskey event since its launch in August 2017.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsDaily Historical Talk and Tour of Ireland's Oldest PubRead More
We are delighted to announce that our daily tour and historical talk at Sean's bar will continue throughout the winter months and into next season. Hosted by Timmy Donovan of Sean's bar, visitors will be welcomed by the open turf fire place and given a detailed history of the pub dating right back to 900 AD. Daily tour starts at 11am.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsLaunch of Sean's Bar Whiskey T-ShirtsRead More
To celebrate the launch of Sean's bar Specially Blended Irish Whiskey we are delighted to announce that we have added a new T- Shirt to our merchandise collection. The T-Shirt is light grey with the logo in black. The reaction from visitors has been very positive to date.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsEnjoy a Midlands Whiskey Experience at Sean's barRead More
Following on from the very successful launch of our specially blended Irish whiskey, Sean's bar is delighted to announce that we have teamed up with Midlands Whiskey Experiences to offer this unique opportunity to learn about the history of whiskey in the Midlands and to taste a variety of whiskeys all produced in the region.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsCNN begin investigation to discover the world's oldest pubRead More
CNN's 'Great Big Story' production team arrive into Sean's bar and interview Timmy as part of their investigation into the World's oldest pub. The video is due to be aired later this year.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsSean's bar launch new whiskeyRead More
With over a thousand years of history we at Sean's bar have decided it was time we launched our own whiskey range. Our first is a specially blended whiskey, matured in bourbon casks and is now available to buy by the shot or by the bottle at the bar.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsToday FM's Dermot & Dave show broadcasts live from Sean's BarRead More
Sean's bar was delighted to host Today FM's Dermot & Dave show on Friday April 7th. The comedic duo were in Athlone as part of their national tour.
- 08/12/2020 0 CommentsHow Athlone got its nameRead More
With a history dating back over 1100 years, Athlone strategically has always been a very important location on the River Shannon. Situated in the very heart of Ireland with Lough Ree to the north and the waters impassible to the south until Clonmacnoise, the Ford at Athlone was the only crossing point for miles. So where did the name Athlone originate from?
For More Information on All the Upcoming Events Get in Touch with the Sean’s Bar Crew